USC serves up a sweep of the No. 17 Longhorns
LOS ANGELES, CALIF. — The No. 2 USC men’s tennis team unfurled its full lineup of ranked players in today’s matchup with No. 17 Texas, as the Trojans cruised past the Longhorns with a 7-0 sweep that takes USC to a 5-0 mark on the year with an undefeated stand at Marks Stadium.
The doubles point got dicey when Texas’ No. 2 duo Holiner/Whitehead got the best of USC’s Gomez/Johnson with an 8-1 takedown that put the Longhorns in position to tally a possible first point in the match. The Trojans would get it done on courts one and three, however. At the No. 1 spot, USC’s Hanfmann/Sarmiento dug out from a 1-4 deficit to win 8-6 and level the count on the doubles courts. On court three, USC’s de Vroome/Quiroz pulled of the clincher with an 8-6 win to pump the Trojans ahead 1-0 in the match and bring up singles action.
Back on the singles scene after getting banged up during the Sherwood Cup, USC’s top gun, #10 Ray Sarmiento got right back to business on court two. The junior fired off a 6-3, 6-2 win over Texas’ Sudanwa Sitaram, and USC was off to the races in this one.
Moments later, sophomore #61 Eric Johnson dished out a 6-4, 6-2 win over Lloyd Glasspool next-door on court four. Right in striking distance of a fifth straight win on the year, the Trojans got a winner from another returner off the injury list. Sophomore #84 Yannick Hanfmann was back in form with a 7-5, 6-2 victory over #98 Nick Naumann at the No. 5 position to clinch the win for the Trojans.
The next match to wrap and add some padding to the Trojan lead was #24 sophomore Roberto Quiroz, who ripped through #43 Daniel Whitehead in the second set to post a 7-5, 6-2 win and make it a 5-0 USC advantage from his No. 3 slot. Over on court one, #27 Emilio Gomez shoved past #30 Soren Hess-Olesen with 6-1, 6-4 win at the one spot. Bringing home the win was USC’s powerful freshman, #68 Max de Vroome, bookended the day in pulling out tiebreakers in both sets to beat David Holiner 7-6, 7-6 on court six, and that was a wrap on another Trojan victory in 2013.
Texas travels to Pepperdine Sunday
#2 USC 7, #17 Texas 0
Feb. 1, 2013 – Marks Stadium
(1) Hanfmann/Sarmiento (USC) def. Camillone/Naumann (UT) – 8-6
(2) Holiner/Whitehead (UT) def. Gomez/Johnson (USC) – 8-1
(3) de Vroome/Quiroz (USC) def. Hess-Olesen/Korinek (UT) – 8-6
USC wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3
(1) #27 Emilio Gomez (USC) def. #30 Soren Hess-Olesen (UT) – 6-1, 6-4
(2) #10 Ray Sarmiento (USC) def. Sudanwa Sitaram (UT) – 6-3, 6-2
(3) #24 Roberto Quiroz (USC) def. #43 Daniel Whitehead (UT) – 7-5, 6-2
(4) #61 Eric Johnson (USC) def. Lloyd Glasspool (UT) – 6-4, 6-2
(5) #84 Yannick Hanfmann (USC) def. #98 Nick Naumann (UT) – 7-5, 6-2*
(6) #68 Max de Vroome (USC) def. David Holiner (UT) – 7-6 (3), 7-6
Order of finish: 2, 4, 5*, 3, 1, 6