For the first time since 1998, Abilene Christian advanced to the national quarterfinals – but it wasn’t easy.
The match started quickly for the Wildcats, who looked like they were going to easily upset the sixth-ranked Sea Warriors of Hawaii Pacific, winning all three doubles. But as always seems to be the case in the Sweet 16 for ACU, their highly-ranked opponent refused to give it up so easily, winning at lines 3, 5 and 6 to even the match.
San Antonio’s John Strahl gave the Wildcats a brief lead taking line two, but Luke Hawk fell at line four to deadlock the action at 4-all.
That left line one, where ACU’s Eldad Campbell was down a set to Nikola Petrov. Campbell fought back, winning the second, 7-5, then got a break in the third to take a 5-3 lead. Petrov held serve and with Campbell serving at 30-all, Campbell started to feel the effects of cramps. He took a medical timeout to get treatment before serving out the match and sending the Wildcats in the quarters.
In the quarterfinals tomorrow, ACU will face top-ranked Valdosta State, who defeated the Wildcats, 9-0 at the Blue-Gray in early April.
St. Edward’s took the easy route in the late match. The Hilltoppers played solid doubles, sweeping all three lines. Justin Raiti, Ned Boone and Bernie Lancaster then all finished within minutes of each other to cement the 6-0 win.
St. Edward’s will face 11th-ranked Concordia of New York (25-3), who was a 5-0 winner over BYU-Hawaii this afternoon. This is the first time the Hilltoppers have reached the Elite 8 since 2005.
NCAA DIVISION II
Altamonte Springs, Fla. (Sanlando Park)
MAY 12, 2010
Abilene Christian 5, Hawaii Pacific 4
1. Eldad Campbell (ACU) def. Nikola Petrov (HPU) 4-6, 7-5, 6-4
2. John Strahl (ACU) def. Aleksander Markov (HPU) 7-6 (7-4), 6-0
3. Daniel Luedi (HPU) def. Alfredo Desiati (ACU) 6-0, 7-6 (7-5)
4. Dominic Mclusky (HPU) def. Luke Hawk (ACU) 4-6, 6-2, 6-4
5. Sebastian Bader (HPU) def. Bryan Joiner (ACU) 6-3, 6-3
6. Anton Samuilau (HPU) def. Brett Proctor (ACU) 6-1, 6-0
1. Luke Hawk-Bryan Joiner (ACU) def. Sebastian Bader-Dominic Mclusky (HPU) 8-4
2. Eldad Campbell-John Strahl (ACU) def. Daniel Luedi-Anton Samuilau (HPU) 8-5
3. Brett Proctor-Alfredo Desiati (ACU) def. Nikola Petrov-Aleksander Markov (HPU) 9-8 (8-6)
St. Edward’s 6, Mesa St. 0
1. Ned Boone (SEU) def. Jordan Chomko (MSU) 6-1, 6-4
2. Rashad Khamis (MSU) vs. Brett Powers (SEU) 1-6, 3-4, unfinished
3. Justin Raiti (SEU) def. Andres Hernandez (MSU) 6-1, 6-3
4. Nick Provenza (MSU) vs. Mick Walter (SEU) 4-6, 6-0, 1-1, unfinished
5. Brason Hollabaugh (MSU) vs. Boris Barrios (SEU) 2-6, 1-4, unfinished
6. Bernard Lancaster (SEU) def. Niko Carrizo (MSU) 6-1, 6-1
1. Mick Walter/Boris Barrios (SEU) def. Jordan Chomko/Nick Provenza (MSU) 8-4
2. Ned Boone/Brett Powers (SEU) def. Rashad Khamis/Niko Carrizo (MSU) 9-7
3. Justin Raiti/Bernard Lancaster (SEU) def. Andres Hernandez/Brason Hollabaugh (MSU) 9-7